Tuesday 5 April 2011

Day 5: Learning takes time

L saw my entry about M and suddenly thanked me. I'm glad that my own reflection helps the others learn something too.

L said sorry to me but in fact she doesn't have to. School is a place for students to learn so it's ok not to be having the best shape all the time. There are things that my teachers taught me but I never understood until I became a teacher myself. So L, you're way better than me because you've realised the importance to show gratitude when you're still in school.

I remember that in my last year of undergraduate studies, Dr C taught me a lot about the cohesion in a passage. It was my English translation which lacked the cohesion, and Dr C gave me specific suggestions for improvement in the one-on-one tutorials. At that time I had a rough idea what he meant but the idea of cohesion remained rather abstract to me.

It was not until earlier last year, when I started to give specific feedback to students' writing, then I realised what students lack in their writing was very similar to what Dr C taught me back then!

On Nov 18, 2010, the day that I made the big discovery, I emailed Dr C immediately and told him all about it, and thanked him. He wrote in response, "I am glad to know you are still your old lively self. Keep well."

This says that learning takes time, and not everyone is a fast learner. So L, you don't have to be apologetic at all, just keep going and give yourself some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment