Saturday 30 April 2011

Day 19: Feel free to make a lot of mistakes as we learn

I was addicted to Andrew Matthews' books like "Being happy" and "Making friends" when I was still a high school student, and I think it's probably where I was first introduced to the concept "learning to fail".

It's such a long time and I really can't remember very well how I learnt my second and third langauge, especially the tough part. And today, in the elementary Japanese class, I just asked my students about things they did during the Easter break. Instead of giving simple answers using phrases they have already learnt, many used their smartphones to look up some new expressions and tried to put together their thoughts in a foreign language.

Some of their "experiments" didn't work out, but they tried over and over again, as if they were babies who were learning how to walk and looked quite excited about the new ways to say something in Japanese.

So maybe I should try and appreciate the mistakes that we make as we learn, and then, think about what we can do to make things work.

Maybe this is what I should do about my own final paper too hahaha
"What can I do to make it work?" instead of "How come it doesn't seem the work the way I want it to be?"

No comments:

Post a Comment