Friday 22 April 2011

Day 16: Look at things from another perspective

When teaching in the computer lab, I often put my screen "on show", which means the students can see the powerpoint slides and the videos easily, and more importantly, they wouldn't be distracted with other stuffs on their own computer, say, using facebook and playing games online.

But there's one strange thing that I failed to understand.

I often tell the students before putting my screen "on show" that "10 seconds later I'm going to lock your computers so please save your files and other important documents".

But the thing is, whenever I click on the button "teacher show", there comes a bit of strange noise like "argh...", as if they are feeling surprised about the "lock".

I told them in advance and gave them time to save things, so how come they are still sounding a bit surprised, as if it's a completely new idea?

I had no idea why until Wednesday night.

I didn't even know there's the same computer program in university - to put the instructor's screen on show. I always thought it's just a tool for classroom management for school teachers.

This time I played the student role and had my lecture in a computer lab. Some of the other students (who are supposed to be teachers!) became a bit distracted with other stuffs on their own computers and the professor suddenly put his screen on show.

"arghh....", suddenly I heard this on my mind. I was paying full attention to the lecture but when the screen changed into something uncontrollable, I felt as if some of my freedom was being taken away (this might sound a bit exaggerated... hahaha)

It was such a strange experience but it helped me look at things from the students' perspective. Now I wouldn't feel strange at all about their reaction.

I were in their shoes and I knew how it was like.

No comments:

Post a Comment