Wednesday 27 April 2011

Day 17: Timing is important

It's the last day of my Easter break, a short one when compared with the primary and secondary schools but a rather long one for the post-secondary sector.

Today I hanged out with E, who took my Japanese interest class a couple of years ago. At first we thought E must be a housewife, but it turned out that she was a member of the management board in a famous bank! We didn't know that until one day when we had a hotpot gathering and happened to talk about investment. To our surprise, E was well versed with stocks and other investment products, in and out of Hong Kong!

Now I still meet E a few times a year, sometimes with Y, the writer. We often exchange our views about life and the current economy. I enjoy reading the news and just regurgitate what I read plus a bit of my own opinions, and E would give me her analysis. It seems that both E and Y are successful investors, but today E pointed out a very important point: the key is not just about what you buy, but when you buy it. As soon as everyone's getting crazy about something, it's too late, she said.

Does this resonate with Warren Buffett's famous quote, "Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful"?

No comments:

Post a Comment