Thursday 14 April 2011

Day 12: Show the subtitles on youtube videos

I was about to show an interview about tourism, and the speakers had a rather strong accent. In order to help students understand what it's all about, I chose a version with English subtitles at home.

But when it's played in class today, the subtitles disappeared!
"The subtitles disappeared! When I watched this at home it was there!", I said. Then one of the students said, calmly, "Just clicked on 'CC'".

And there came the subtitles again!

Thanks M for telling me about the subtitle function on youtube.

2 comments:

  1. Students can be smarter than us, in some respects. We won't lose face by allowing them the opportunities to teach us some little tricks. Quite the contrary, it will humanise (sorry for using a big word) the classroom, and bring them closer to us. Some clever teachers will create such opportunities for students to show them how to do something, when they actually know how to do it themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you said "Some clever teachers will create such opportunities for students to show them how to do something, when they actually know how to do it themselves", I suddenly thought of the relationship of a couple. Let them shine. I should have realised this long ago since I'm female. hahaha

    ReplyDelete